At Wells Fargo, we have one goal: to satisfy our customers’ financial needs and help them achieve their dreams. We’re looking for talented people who will put our customers at the center of everything we do. Join our diverse and inclusive team where you’ll feel valued and inspired to contribute your unique skills and experience.
Help us build a better Wells Fargo. It all begins with outstanding talent. It all begins with you.
Corporate Risk helps all Wells Fargo businesses identify and manage risk. We focus on three key risk areas: credit risk, operational risk and market risk. We help our management and Board of Directors identify and monitor risks that may affect multiple lines of business, and take appropriate action when business activities exceed the risk tolerance of the company.
This position is within the Wholesale Group Risk Office (WGRO) to help the Wholesale lines of business (LOBs) meet its regulatory requirements related to customer tax information reporting. Essential responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Advise LOBs on tax requirements under different tax regimes (i.e., Chapter 61-Back-up, Chapter 3- NRA and Chapter 4-FATCA) for onboarding, reporting and withholding purposes.
- Serve as a tax subject matter expert on deals’ evaluation, systems’ enhancements, changes in procedures and quality control efforts
- Respond to inquiries regarding U.S. Federal and State tax requirements
- Conduct technical research using specialized tools (e.g., RIA Reuters, BNA Portfolios, Tax Notes, etc.) on various tax topics including U.S. tax certification Forms W-8 and W-9, tax Forms 1099 series and 1042-S, Cost Basis for equity and debt instruments, Presumption Rules and sourcing of payments
- Review and accurately interpret IRS regulation, PLRs, memorandums and Treasury decisions to support tax decisions made by our LOBs on U.S. tax reporting and withholding matters
- Identify and provide input to mitigate tax risk and estimate any potential exposure to IRS penalties and other liabilities
- Ensure the tax positions taken by the LOBs are thoroughly and contemporaneously documented, preparing research memos, reports, talking points, FAQs, etc.
- Monitor Tax law changes including new and proposed IRS regulations and requirements, identify the impact of them on our LOBs’ operations and maintain regulatory awareness and support compliance initiatives
- Address clients’ escalated tax issues efficiently and may interact with their tax counsel
Wells Fargo & Company (NYSE: WFC) is a diversified, community-based financial services company. Founded in 1852 and headquartered in San Francisco, Wells Fargo provides banking, insurance, investments, mortgage, and consumer and commercial finance through our many locations, ATMs, the internet (wellsfargo.com) and mobile banking. To learn more, Wells Fargo perspectives are also available at Wells Fargo Blogs and Wells Fargo Stories.
- 3+ years of tax and accounting experience
- A BS/BA degree or higher
- A Master of Business Administration or designation as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Knowledge and understanding of tax: reporting, filing, remittance, processing, initiatives, and strategies
- Ability to negotiate, influence, and collaborate to build successful relationships
- Prior experience with major accounting firm, law firm, financial services company or multinational company.
- Demonstrates technical knowledge on U.S. tax onboarding, reporting, withholding and required tax compliance.
- Leadership experience with senior management interaction.
- Demonstrated strong verbal and written communication skills to convey complex tax issues, opportunities and risks to non-tax experts in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to identify key issues, involve affected parties, design solutions, obtain buy-in and communicate effectively through resolution.
- Ability to make timely and independent judgment decisions while working in a fast-paced and results-driven environment.
- All offers for employment with Wells Fargo are contingent upon the candidate having successfully completed a criminal background check. Wells Fargo will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable local, state and Federal law, including Section 19 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act.
Relevant military experience is considered for veterans and transitioning service men and women.
Wells Fargo is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.