At Wells Fargo, we want to satisfy our customers’ financial needs and help them succeed financially. We’re looking for talented people who will put our customers at the center of everything we do. Join our diverse and inclusive team where you’ll feel valued and inspired to contribute your unique skills and experience.
Help us build a better Wells Fargo. It all begins with outstanding talent. It all begins with you.
Corporate Risk helps all Wells Fargo businesses identify and manage risk. We focus on three key risk areas: credit risk, operational risk, and market risk. We help our management and Board of Directors identify and monitor risks that may affect multiple lines of business, and take appropriate action when business activities exceed the risk tolerance of the company.
This Tax Accountant 4 - Coverage Officer Consultant position within the Wholesale Group Risk Office (WGRO) will help Wholesale meet its regulatory requirements related to customer information tax reporting.
The Tax Accountant 4:
- Performs the most complex tax accounting activities related to the preparation of federal and state tax returns
- Prepares comprehensive tax workpapers, performs complex account analysis, prepares responses to audit requests, research memos, and tax correspondence, and looks for improvement in policies and procedures for the maintenance of tax-related records
- Maintains high level of knowledge of federal and state income tax laws, rulings, regulations, and judicial decisions, and develops high level of expertise in assigned areas
- Develops relationships with assigned business units related to the collection and analysis of information important to income tax accounting and/or compliance, and assists in directing corporate policy with respect to complex income tax issues
- Responds to inquiries regarding tax policies and procedures
- Performs analysis of complex transactions and researches opportunities to minimize income taxes and management of income tax risks
- Performs tax research and takes leadership role in the collection and communication of information in response to inquiries from federal and state income tax auditors
- May direct the work of less experienced staff
- May be recognized as an expert in one or more areas of tax law
Essential responsibilities of this Coverage Officer Consultant position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Implement/operationalize tax laws with LOB Tax Control Officers (TCO), advising on tax requirements and performing research in support of tax functions
- Serve as a subject matter expert (SME) on any domestic tax matters, including, but not limited to, FATCA, Non-Resident Alien withholding and reporting, backup withholding, Cost Basis, Original Issue Discount, and structured product issues, and serve as integral member of the tax team on tax matters
- Serve as tax SME regarding LoB applicable tax laws including evaluating new/changed laws, impact assessment, and supporting product implementation
- Work with Governance Program Manager and LOB TCOs to ensure payment matrices are maintained
- Work with TCOs on Procedure Development and Maintenance
- Assess system changes (i.e. rule application, validation updates, BRD review)
- Assist with identification and documentation for self-identified issues and actions; coordinate with Tax Issues Manager for escalations
- Partner with LoB Risk Management and TCOs to support remediation or resolution of critical issues
- Work with Strategic Risk Assessment team to evaluate testing or assessment results for respective LoB
- Drive business process improvements and best practices, and assist with implementation and transition efforts
- Understand products and process controls to oversee tax risks that the products and services pose and how they are being managed
- Work with Tax Compliance Reporting Manager to maintain controls inventory
- Partner with Tax Compliance Reporting Manager to facilitate or coordinate information/data for control metrics
- Support gap closure from Strategic Risk assessments perform by Tax Governance
- Assist in prioritization of work efforts as determined by risk level of tax risk items
Job Expectation: Travel up to 15%
Team members support our focus on building strong customer relationships balanced with a strong risk mitigating and compliance-driven culture which firmly establishes those disciplines as critical to the success of our customers and company. They are accountable for execution of all applicable risk programs (Credit, Market, Financial Crimes, Operational, Regulatory Compliance), which includes effectively following and adhering to applicable Wells Fargo policies and procedures, appropriately fulfilling risk and compliance obligations, timely and effective escalation and remediation of issues, and making sound risk decisions. There is emphasis on proactive monitoring, governance, risk identification and escalation, as well as making sound risk decisions commensurate with the business unit’s risk appetite and all risk and compliance program requirements.Required Qualifications
- 5+ years of tax and accounting experience
- A BS/BA degree or higher
- Project management experience
- Ability to communicate effectively, in both written and verbal formats, with senior executive-level leaders
- Ability to identify key issues, involve affected parties, design solutions, obtain buy-in, and communicate effectively through resolution
- Ability to make timely and independent judgment decisions while working in a fast-paced and results-driven environment
- Ability to negotiate, influence, and collaborate to build successful relationships
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Knowledge and understanding of tax: reporting, filing, remittance, processing, initiatives, and strategies
- Strong influence skills
- Strong negotiating skills
- Project coordinator experience
- Ability to track and monitor project progress, identify project and process gaps, recommend controls and communicate progress to business leaders
- US Tax reporting expertise and expertise in US tax rules
- Juris Doctorate, Masters of Taxation, or Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or equivalent certification
- Prior experience with major accounting firm, law firm, financial services company, or multinational company
- Experience advising operations in a financial services environment including experience leading tax reporting teams through process design/reengineering initiatives with quantifiable results
- Demonstrated knowledge of technical tax onboarding, withholding, reporting, and required tax compliance
- Ability to independently evaluate tax issues and apply sound business judgment with minimal oversight
- Leadership experience with senior management interaction
- Demonstrated strong communication skills to convey complex tax issues, opportunities, and risks to non-tax experts in a clear and concise manner
- All offers for employment with Wells Fargo are contingent upon the candidate having successfully completed a criminal background check. Wells Fargo will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable local, state and Federal law, including Section 19 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act.
Relevant military experience is considered for veterans and transitioning service men and women.
Wells Fargo is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.