As a developing professional, performs research and analysis on moderately complex new or revised federal and/or state tax issues to be included in H&R Block’s tax software products. Utilizes H&R Block's Tax Institute's interpretations of new and changing tax laws as a starting point of the analysis where available. Makes determination of how federal and/or state tax changes will impact tax software products. Will research and interpret form changes and other tax changes where Tax Institute interpretations are not available. Ensures tax applications operate in congruence with tax law.
Duties include applying tax expertise and utilizing state of the art, in house, software development tools for developing tax software calculations. Technical aptitude and/or experience, along with competent tax skills is helpful for this position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- With a focus on tax software functionality, utilizes Tax Institute tax law interpretation on moderately complex federal and/or state tax issues to analyze, evaluate, and implement impacts to H&R Block’s tax software products.
- Performs independent research, and analysis on moderately complex federal and state tax and form changes where Tax Institute interpretations are not available. Interprets situation, draws conclusions, identifies fundamental tax points, researches and interprets tax code, regulations, case law, and makes recommendations as to the best tax treatment for the situation and implements impacts to current tax software.
- Prepares documentation and requirements for software implementation.
- Participates in the day-to-day activities of a software development project team to identify and resolve tax related issues; ensures adherence to research standards.
- May perform testing in the development environment to ensure calculations and tax results are correct.
- Ensures all SLAs are met.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or other related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience as a tax pro or tax researcher.
- Developing knowledge of tax law and regulations sufficient to understand and explain elements of personal, corporate, partnership, fiduciary, estate, gift, and international taxation.
- Knowledge of tax research principles, procedures and techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively research moderately complex tax issues and effectively communicate findings.
- Ability to interpret, analyze and correctly formulate solutions to moderately complex tax situations and translate those into software requirements.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to clearly explain moderately complex tax situations.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with an external and internal customer focus in all interactions