Researches moderately complex state and local tax issues and drafts memoranda and guidance documents for various internal departments and tax teams. Analyzes, evaluates, and recommends tax forms to add to existing suite of tax products. Assists with state programs and projects.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES ANDRESPONSIBILITIES
- Researches, analyzes, and evaluates current year state tax forms, vendor specifications, letters of intent, and requirements to identify, document, and advise company of tax changes impacting company compliance with state Departments of Revenue.
- Assists tax software developers by researching and answering tax related questions.
- Uses developed research skills to unravel moderately complex tax situations into the fundamental tax points as they are applicable to current, proposed, or past law.
- Makes recommendations to tax product teams on forms that may need to be added to or removed from the existing suite of forms.
- Coordinates, develops, and/or assists in researching tax issues to support other corporate departments such as Government Relations, Media Relations, Marketing, Legal, Insurance, Software Development, Pricing & Analytics, and Field Training.
- Coordinates and/or participates in work teams as necessary for the analysis and preparation of summaries of passed and proposed tax law.
- Edits, reviews, and fact checks a variety of tax-related materials produced by self and others to verify accuracy and completeness of material.
- Ensures that assigned projects are completed on or before agreed upon deadlines.
- Bachelor's degree in business related field or commensurate tax experience.
- Graduate degree in accounting, tax, or law, or progress towards completion of such degree, or completion of Judicial Clerkship is desirable.
- Circular 230 designation (attorney, CPA, or EA) is also highly desirable.
- A minimum of 1 year tax research, tax preparation, or related experience.
- Ability to interpret, analyze, and correctly formulate solutions to moderately complex tax situations.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in multi-state tax preparation or concepts preferred but not required.
- Ability to perform assignments in a highly detailed and accurate manner.
- Ability to treat confidential information with professionalism and discretion.
- Proficiency with Windows-based computer systems
- Proficiency with PC applications including but not limited to Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Proficiency with at least one online tax research tool (RIA, CCH, BNA, Lexis, or similar)
- Master’s degree in Tax, Business, Accounting, Finance, or other related field
- Judicial Clerkship or experience writing memoranda of law
- Circular 230 designation