Scholastic Corporation is the world's largest publisher and distributor of children's books and a leader in educational technology. Our aim at Scholastic is to reach out to a diverse population, to increase awareness and interest in children’ publishing. We believe having a workforce that reflects our diverse and culturally rich society is essential to our success.
The Tech Lead, Core Services will be responsible for the design, development and support of the technologies and services that power Scholastic’s digital applications across the world. This includes the development and deployment of RESTful microservices as well as integration with internal and external business systems and services via APIs, JMS messaging and Kafka events.
In addition to being accountable for technology deliverables, the candidate will be responsible for guiding/mentoring an agile engineering team and will play a prominent role in architectural design and agile project planning.
• Execute technology initiatives to support Scholastic digital and eCommerce initiatives
• Provide technical leadership with a focus on engineering and agile best practices
• Foster a culture of accountability and excellence
• Mentor software engineers in their career development
• Maintain high quality standards
• Develop a deep understanding of both the current and future state line-of-business needs and how those relate to technology by working closely with our business leaders as well as our technology organization.
• Own the solutions architecture, both in its current state and the changes to drive it forward in line with future business and technology strategy.
• Become the leading expert on the technologies that drive the business and how they are used (processes, workflows, integrations, etc.)
• Collaborate with product owners and stakeholders
HOW YOU CAN FIT
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field.
• Expertise in modern web application development.
• 5+ years practical experience in software engineering and application architecture.
• 3+ years Java API development, preferably on the Spring stack (Spring Boot, Spring Web, Spring Data, etc.)
• 3+ relational DB experience. NoSQL DBs such as Mongo a plus.
• Experience with messaging technologies such as JMS and streaming/event technologies such as Kafka or Amazon Kinesis a plus.
• Experience leading agile engineering teams including a mix of onshore and offshore resources.
• 2+ years cloud technol
• Aptitude for troubleshooting and problem solving.
• Ability to establish goals and set clear expectations, prioritize activities, and follow through to completion.
• Strong sense of ownership and accountability with a commitment to delivering high quality software that balance technical and business goals.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with ability to communicate with a variety of audiences at all levels.
• Experience with commerce platforms such as Sales Force Commerce Cloud (Demandware) and/or content management systems such as Adobe Experience Manager is a plus.
WHO WE ARE
Scholastic Corporation (NASDAQ: SCHL) is the world's largest publisher and distributor of children's books, a leading provider of core literacy curriculum and professional services, and a producer of educational and entertaining children's media. The Company creates quality books and ebooks, print and technology-based learning programs for pre-K to grade 12, classroom magazines and other products and services that support children's learning both in school and at home. With operations in 14 international offices and exports to 165 countries, Scholastic makes quality, affordable books available to all children around the world through school-based book clubs and book fairs, classroom collections, school and public libraries, retail and online. True to its mission of 97 years to encourage the personal and intellectual growth of all children beginning with literacy, the Company has earned a reputation as a trusted partner to educators and families. Learn more at www.scholastic.com.
Some benefits that we offer:
• 100% vested of 401(k) Retirement Plan after 5 years employment
• Up to 1M worth of supplemental Life Insurance
• Tuition Reimbursement
• Purchase Scholastic stock at a 15% discount
Thank you for your consideration in choosing Scholastic.