Works as a crewmember to maintain, repair and replace rails, ties, switches and ballast, uses hand tools and operates heavy equipment. Position starts as Track Maintainer with opportunity to qualify as Machine Operator
Functions, Duties & Responsibilities:
- Adhere to and promote safe work practices as determined by the railroad.
- Repairing and rebuilding railroad track using hydraulic or hand tools.
- Removing and replacing ties, rails, pulling and driving spikes, shoveling rock ballast, loading and unloading equipment and material.
- Various other tasks as assigned by railroad.
- Fill out all required railroad and regulatory forms
Minimum Technical Skills:
- Must be able to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and federal and state regulations.
- Must possess excellent verbal communication skills.
- Written communication skills are required in order to update rules and manuals to assure continuous compliance with all federal regulations.
- High School Diploma or equivalent railroad experience.
Required Machine Operator Skills:
- Must possess the ability to complete written forms and reports including FRA reports as required.
- Possess working knowledge of equipment such as tampers, regulators and backhoes.
- Must have working knowledge of and be familiar with various types of tools and equipment such as torches, hammers, jacks, and other mechanical, hydraulic and pneumatic tools.
- Must possess valid driver’s license and a CDL.
- Possess ability to perform routine maintenance and trouble-shoot problems on equipment.
- Familiarity with State and Federal regulations as it relates to the railroad industry.
- High School Diploma or GED; with 2 years work experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Other technical training, experience with heavy hand tools and previous work in an outside environment are preferred.
Genesee & Wyoming Inc. and its subsidiary companies do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or any other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Concordia, Kansas, United States