Guide mule rides in and out of the Grand Canyon and along rim trails.
- Catch and saddle designated mules, grain and groom mules while saddling.
- Check equipment each day before saddling; report any defective equipment to Livery Management.
- Assist in keeping the barn and corral clean.
- Assist with daily feeding of mules.
- Put mules up according to procedures, properly store saddles/tack.
- Help load/unload guests onto mules at all load/unload points along the ride. Check equipment before loading guests at all points.
- Always be aware of the string on the trail, pay close attention to riders, keep string together, keep rider safety at the forefront at all tim
- Provide interpretive information about the Grand Canyon throughout the ride.
- Pay attention to trail conditions, pending weather conditions, trail hazards, other trail users that may pose a danger to the mules and/or riders.
- Communicate via two-way radio any accidents to mules or riders, and/or other important information.
- Check all gear and make certain that such gear is equipped with all attachments, such as first aid emergency kits, and canteens.
- Adhere to all safety, risk management and environmental policies while performing tasks.
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least one year of experience handling horses or mules and proven equestrian skills.
- Good verbal communication skills with ability to give instructions to riders, and provide interpretive information about the Grand Canyon.
- Must be able to become certified in CPR, and basic first aid.
- Must have own saddle and tack.
- Experience with, or ability to learn two-way radio communications.
Selected candidates will be required to take a student ride to Phantom Ranch to make sure they can handle the depth, heat and terrain of the Canyon. The student ride will be free, but candidate travel expenses and lodging while here are not included.
Low-cost in-park housing provided. Discounted meals; Medical/Dental/Vision health plans available; 401K; Drug-free workplace. Employment history verified. Background checks/Drug test required. Xanterra is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities/Woman/Disabled/Veterans are encouraged to apply.
TO APPLY visit www.grandcanyonlodges.com/careers
Find us on Facebook and Twitter at Grand Canyon Jobs