At Wells Fargo, we want to satisfy our customers’ financial needs and help them succeed financially. We’re looking for talented people who will put our customers at the center of everything we do. Join our diverse and inclusive team where you’ll feel valued and inspired to contribute your unique skills and experience.
Help us build a better Wells Fargo. It all begins with outstanding talent. It all begins with you.
Wholesale Banking provides financial solutions to businesses across the United States and globally. Our nine major business lines include Business Banking, Middle Market Banking, Government and Institutional Banking, Corporate Banking, Commercial Real Estate, Financial Institutions Group, Wells Fargo Commercial Capital, Wells Fargo Securities, and the Investment Portfolio. We also have groups in credit risk, group risk, finance, marketing, human relations, and the Wholesale Chief Operating Office that support our businesses.
Wells Fargo is currently building out a dedicated group (the Wholesale Transactional Conflicts Office, or WTCO) to identify and assess potential conflicts of interest that may arise in the course of a Wholesale mandate due to existing or anticipated relationships with a client or counterparty. WTCO will play a crucial role in working with business leadership to address risks and, in the face of competing opportunities, facilitate business selection decisions, taking into account client relationships and reputational risk while seeking to maximize commercial opportunities for the firm globally.
Upon notification from a deal team of a potential mandate, WTCO will conduct a thorough review of the opportunity and the firm’s relationships with the potential parties to the mandate via extensive interaction with the deal team, use of internal databases, and discussion of proposed activity with senior level bankers. WTCO will guide escalation of certain identified issues to senior management and/or appropriate governance groups as necessary and in real time. In addition to reviewing potential transactions, members of WTCO will manage projects involving enhancements to the conflict management process, developing internal policies, and educating team members across the Wholesale division about emerging issues related to transactional conflicts.
This position offers candidates an exceptional opportunity to gain broad exposure to activities across all of the Wholesale lines of business, with high transaction volumes originating from the corporate and investment banking businesses, and frequent interaction with the business and support partners across all levels of seniority, including Legal, Compliance and members of senior management. Furthermore, this position offers candidates a unique opportunity to help build an important business risk function at a large financial institution and the ability to have significant impact on its success. This role is ideal for a highly motivated person interested in financial markets who has the capacity to appreciate the complexities of risk management in the space.
Responsibilities to Include:
- Under the direction of more experienced conflicts consultants, responsible for day to day handling of WTCO functions to facilitate identification and management of potential transactional conflicts
- Reviewing intake of a conflict clearance request and gathering information about the current opportunity as well as current and past company engagements or transactions with the customer and counterparties, as applicable (including interacting with deal teams to understand business opportunities and accessing data through company systems)
- Organizing, reviewing and analyzing data and communicating conclusions to WTCO colleagues and deal team leaders in real time
- Partnering with more experienced conflicts consultants to understand and address risks related to conflicts and escalate issues as appropriate to Head of WTCO, deal team leaders and senior management in real time
- Documenting conflict analysis using WTCO system and monitoring the status of opportunities once cleared to proactively identify issues that may arise following initial conflict check
- Assisting deal teams and partners with preparing necessary documentation, such as material relationship disclosures to Boards of Directors
- Responsible for collecting, tracking and analyzing data to help support the WTCO in effectively managing conflict clearance requests and carrying out important quality assurance functions
- Working with members of the WTCO to develop enhancements to WTCO policies and procedures and training materials and assist with training and awareness sessions with deal teams and business leaders
- Position will also work with WTCO team members and Technology partners to implement technology enhancements to facilitate information gathering and other operations of the office
Team members support our focus on building strong customer relationships balanced with a strong risk mitigating and compliance-driven culture which firmly establishes those disciplines as critical to the success of our customers and company. They are accountable for execution of all applicable risk programs (Credit, Market, Financial Crimes, Operational, Regulatory Compliance), which includes effectively following and adhering to applicable Wells Fargo policies and procedures, appropriately fulfilling risk and compliance obligations, timely and effective escalation and remediation of issues, and making sound risk decisions. There is emphasis on proactive monitoring, governance, risk identification and escalation, as well as making sound risk decisions commensurate with the business unit’s risk appetite and all risk and compliance program requirements.Required Qualifications
- 5+ years of experience in one or a combination of the following: legal, compliance, or financial services
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of investment banking
- Experience working in conflict resolutions office, compliance, paralegal, or financial service transactions
- A Juris Doctorate (JD) or a Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Experience with or knowledge of financial products/transactions preferred
- Experience working on investment banking transactions, in a conflict resolution office or as a paralegal or compliance professional
- Strong communication skills and ability to interact with a wide group of professionals at different levels of seniority across Wholesale business lines
- Strong organizational skills with high attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to process and analyze high volumes of information
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Ability to operate in fast paced, dynamic work environment with high sense of urgency
- Must have ability to manage matters and bring them to a timely completion
- Strong sense of discretion in dealing with highly sensitive and confidential information
- Proactive and self-motivated
- Ability to work in close coordination with others as part of a small team
- Military intelligence or analytics experience including operational management, project management, mission evolution management and finance management
- All offers for employment with Wells Fargo are contingent upon the candidate having successfully completed a criminal background check. Wells Fargo will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable local, state and Federal law, including Section 19 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act.
Relevant military experience is considered for veterans and transitioning service men and women.
Wells Fargo is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.