If you want to achieve more in your mission of health care, you have to be really smart about the business of health care. Challenge yourself, your peers and our industry by shaping what health care looks like and doing your life's best work.(sm)
The Vice President, Care Delivery will serve as primary liaison between business leaders and the External Affairs Team for public policy priorities. S/He will identify and advance business opportunities (also minimizing potential business threats), keep segment leadership informed of key public policy activities and developments within States, Congress, the Administration and key agencies. The Vice President, Care Delivery will develop, implement and lead a strategic approach to engage health business leadership in a public policy / issues management process with the goal of identifying and prioritizing proactive legislative and regulatory initiatives that support key business objectives and drive business development opportunities. S/He must effectively disseminate health public policy positions to business leadership to ensure consistency of messaging and coordination with the business. The Vice President, Care Delivery must translate the business agenda into national and state-specific policy strategy, working with the Leadership of External Affairs to advance and implement a strategic approach, advocacy agenda and thought leadership consistent with overall UnitedHealth Group Care Delivery priorities and efforts. S/He will draft, disseminate, summarize, and analyze public policy positions on key health business priorities to ensure consistency of messaging and coordination throughout Optum, UHC, and across UHG, and collaborate with State and Federal Government External Affairs colleagues to advance external positioning and advocacy efforts related to:
- The handling of various legislative proposals at the State and Federal levels
- Thought Leadership advancement and business development opportunities
Opportunities for proactive positioning/agenda-setting
- Coordination and facilitation of business leader engagement in external positioning, as needed
- Excellent interpersonal and teambuilding skills.
- Superior oral and written communication skills with the ability to persuasively communicate complex concepts and programs at the highest levels of business and government
- Ability to develop and maintain strong internal and external relationships while enhancing the company’s policy and legislative positions
- Executive presence, dynamic professional style and the ability to inspire confidence in senior management and those outside the company
- Intellectual curiosity and ability to gather, assess, and synthesize information from various sources
- Demonstrated interest in health policy issues
- The ability to manage and work on multiple tasks and prepare graphics and tabular data presentations in a fast paced environment
- An understanding of economic modeling and the ability to use the information to impact public policy by evaluating trends that may impact the company
- Bachelor’s degree
- 10 or more years of Care Delivery policy setting experience in the healthcare field
- Experience being a leader in policy setting environments such as in State Capitols, on relevant committees on Capitol Hill, in the Administration, a Department and/or in a relevant Agency or in-house with a corporation or trade association
- A degree in Medicine or Nursing and/or a Master’s degree in Public Health, Health Policy or Public Administration and/or related work
- Clinical experience
Careers at UnitedHealth Group. We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented. Compassionate. Driven. To these select few, we offer the global reach, resources and can-do culture of a Fortune 6 company. We provide an environment where you're empowered to be your best. We encourage you to take risks. And we offer a world of rewards and benefits for performance. We believe the most important is the opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Vice President, Care Delivery, Washington, DC, District of Columbia