The Vice President, Communications will create, lead and deliver the vision and strategy of an integrated corporate communications program, including internal, external and brand communications. Responsible for leading communication and messaging efforts to improve brand awareness, promote products and services, and enhance and protect the reputation of the brand. Leads public and media relations, and corporate responsibility efforts to ensure a favorable position in the market place and in the community. Shapes and supports our executive voices inside and outside the organization.
- Set year-round strategy and execution plan for all communications utilizing multiple platforms across a large central and decentralized organization with multiple stakeholders and audiences.
- Design, develop and implement brand communications programs to promote the organization's products, services and brand.
- Lead team in recognizing internal and external communications opportunities and solutions and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Provide clear, consistent, and frequent messaging regarding key initiatives, business results, changes, progress, and overall business priorities both internally and externally.
- Engage with executive staff, challenging current processes to ensure the best communications strategy is delivered for the business. Provide practical as well as strategic counsel, process and capability to help all functions and business groups achieve their goals.
- Supports executive staff in preparing communications for earnings calls, financial releases, etc.
- Embrace and drive transformational change to how communications are delivered and how the communication function supports the organization.
- Ensure strong partnerships throughout the organization and alignment with overall communications strategy and execution.
- Drive leading-edge public and media relations strategies and specific campaigns to enhance and strengthen the public reputation of the organization.
- Serve as communications spokesperson and work to build and maintain strong relationships with the media.
- Steward the H&R Block corporate brand, leadership and image by advocating, promoting and protecting the company’s reputation.
- Lead the development and execution of policies and programs that enhance the organization's relationship with, and outreach to, the community.
- Build the social media strategy to enhance brand awareness and company reputation. Ensure consistent delivery across the organization.
- Oversee crisis/reputation control management and establish protocol for communications in these events.
- Measure communications effectiveness and adapt based on results.
- Coach, lead and provide meaningful feedback and development opportunities to staff.
- Oversee and lead the day-to-day activities of the communications function including budgeting and operational planning.
- Responsible for the coordination and effective execution of meetings and events within H&R Block.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, business or related field.
- Fifteen to twenty (15-20) years experience; Ten (10) in a leadership role with progressive leadership responsibility.
- Experience in a publicly traded organization.
- Willing to challenge previously held ideas in the interest of progressing and enhancing the brand.
- Proven ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with others across business units, functional departments, geographies and disciplines.
- Innovative, strategic thinking and planning skills with the ability to create and communicate a vision for the future and translate it into clear strategies and specific priorities.
- Strong leadership skills and demonstrated ability to operate successfully within a dynamic team culture.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to lead through influence and network. Highly professional demeanor and diplomatic skills. Ability to create effective partnerships at all levels of the organization.
- Results-orientation in setting and pursuing aggressive goals, demonstrating a strong commitment to organizational success and marshaling resources to accomplish projects.
- Demonstrated problem-solving, analytical, critical-thinking and decision-making skills. Good organization with superior follow-through.
- Ability to manage and grow through difficult situations.
- Ability to assess and recreate the communications platform to better align with changing business strategies.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including excellent presentation, facilitation and listening skills.