Founded in 1971, Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. and subsidiaries is an omnichannel retailer offering a wide selection of domestics merchandise and home furnishings. The Company’s mission is to be trusted by its customers as the expert for the home and “heart-related” life events. These include certain life events that evoke strong emotional connections such as getting married, moving to a new home, having a baby, going to college and decorating a room, which the Company supports through its wedding and baby registries, new mover and student life programs, and its design consultation services. The Company’s ability to achieve its mission is driven by three broad objectives: first, to present a meaningfully differentiated and complete product assortment for the home, of the right quality product, at the right value; second, to provide services and solutions that enhance the usage and enjoyment of its offerings; and third, to deliver a convenient, engaging, and inspiring shopping experience that is intelligently personalized over time.
The Company operates a robust ecommerce platform consisting of various websites and applications, and an established retail store base under the names of Bed Bath & Beyond, Christmas Tree Shops, Christmas Tree Shops andThat! or andThat!, Harmon, Harmon Face Values or Face Values, buybuy BABY, World Market, Cost Plus World Market or Cost Plus. In addition, the Company operates Of a Kind, Inc., an e-commerce website that features specially commissioned, limited edition items from emerging fashion and home designers; One Kings Lane, Inc., an authority in home décor and design offering a unique collection of select home goods, designer and vintage items; PersonalizationMall.com, an industry-leading online retailer of personalized products; Chef Central, a retailer of kitchenware, cookware and homeware items catering to cooking and baking enthusiasts; and Decorist, Inc., an online interior design platform that provides personalized home design services.
Over the last 5 years, Bed Bath & Beyond’s digital marketing capabilities and digital media spend have increased at a significant pace, supporting double-digital growth in our online channels and driving critical in-store traffic. In combination with significant investments in our eCommerce platforms, we have set the stage for our next level of achievement for brands that the VP, Digital Marketing will lead. The VP, Digital marketing will drive digital strategy and tactics for Bed Bath & Beyond, buybuy Baby, Christmas Tree Shops andThat!, Face Values, and One Kings Lane.
The future capabilities we see as core to success will include:
• Increased sophistication of personalization to support our core business and our life-stage segments
• Leveraging our omni-channel attribution solution to optimize overall media spend (both the direct digital spend and our offline spend)
• Development of a world-class marketing technology stack
The initial team will include direct responsibilities for a 14-person digital marketing team, oversight of three significant agency relationships, and indirect leadership of a 20+ person technology team, including a significant SEO development team. An additional 6-person team of Social Media/PR experts and a Consumer Insights team may also report to the VP, Digital Marketing, if the candidate background is appropriate.
Based in Union, NJ (Bed Bath & Beyond world headquarters), and reporting directly to the Chief Marketing Officer (Eric Steinberger), the VP, Digital Marketing will be responsible for the strategic planning and tactical execution of the company’s digital marketing initiatives that support both our eCommerce and in-store traffic and revenue goals. Scope of responsibilities includes:
- Overseeing the vision, strategy, tactics and day-to-day management of our online marketing channels focused on driving both online and in-store activity:
- Paid search – including brand and non-brand text ads and shopping compaigns
- Affiliate marketing
- Display – including core display and paid social media (Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, etc.)
- Comparison Shopping Engines
- Organic Social Media (dependent on candidate background)
- Public Relations (dependent on candidate background)
- Consumer Insights (dependent on candidate background)
- Leading innovation and advancement of the overall digital marketing agenda through the development and execution of a multi-year roadmap
- Driving increased adoption of our cross-channel attribution solution to accelerate improvements in overall marketing efficiency and customer acquisition
- Partnering with the larger organization (specifically senior business leaders across the company) to understand their business objectives and be seen as THE subject matter expert on Digital Marketing within the company
- Working with the larger marketing team supporting the execution of omni-channel, personalized programs targeted to specific consumer segments
- Building a world-class Digital marketing team through defining the optimal internal organization structure, necessary roles/headcount, and appropriate set of 3rd party partner relationships as we continue to grow and mature the business
- Help increase revenue growth and profit for both the eCommerce channels and in-store channels
- Driving incremental new-to-file customers (both eCommerce and Store) via digital channels
- Supporting acquisition and fulfillment value goals for our key lifestage businesses: wedding registry, baby registry, movers, and college students
- Deliver against established ROAS targets (by program and channel)
- Retention and value measures (incremental LTV, Reduced Attrition)
- 360-degree feedback from internal teammates; external customer feedback
- Growth in social media and PR KPIs (based on candidate background)
Ideal Candidate Profile
- Experience Base
- Digital Marketing - Candidates should have recent experience developing Digital Marketing plans with a strong understanding of the current online customer acquisition channels and agencies/suppliers. Must have expertise with a variety of digital channels, including Display Advertising, Affiliate, SEO/SEM, Social Media, and Mobile. Experience with Marketplaces and International Marketing is also a plus. Must have a keen sense of tactical execution in this space.
- Retail Expertise – Candidate should have a deep background in Retail or other high SKU count, large traffic eCommerce business - ideally at a large, complex ‘clicks and mortar’ retailer with multiple brands. An understanding of gift registry businesses (e.g., bridal and baby) is also a plus.
- Functional Development - Demonstrated success building organizational capabilities and teams through process design, organizational development, and technology, recruiting and training high-performing Marketing teams.
- Agile Mindset – while experience leading digital marketing at a large, mutli-brand, highly collarborative corporation is needed, a small company mentality (e.g., test quickly, fail quickly, fix quickly) is needed to make ambitious progress is a dynamic field where innovation and speed are necessary.
- Skill Set
- World-class Direct Marketing and Digital skills (technically proficient)
- Innovative and creative thinking (fresh, imaginative thinking)
- Organizational leadership and team development (leads through influence)
- Intellectual horsepower (highly analytical & strategic)
- Drives for results in prioritized manner (balanced sense of urgency)
- Listening skills, minimal ego (listen first, then respond)
- Complex problem-solving (explores all options, then converges)
- Organized and attention-to-detail approach (strong tactical execution)
- Highly resourceful (stretches people and money; compresses time)
- Collaborative (works with peers across many functions within the company)
- Personality Profile
- Flexible and adaptable
- Results orientation
- Sense of urgency
- Strong work ethic
- High integrity and trustworthy
- Intellectually curious
- Ego in-check
If you need reasonable accommodations to complete the on-line application, please contact the Human Resource Department:
An Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. to recruit, hire, train, promote, transfer and compensate our associates and provide all other conditions of employment including Company sponsored events without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, lawful alien status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, citizenship status, veteran status, employment status or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.