he Vice President of Workforce Management is accountable for providing strategic leadership for the workforce planning functions in support of UHC Operations (Community & State, Medicare & Retirement and Employer & Individual lines of business, Provider Operations and Payment Integrity). This leader will drive workforce optimization and enterprise operational efficiency through implementation of best in class workforce planning processes that support UHC’s strategic initiatives including maximization of customer NPS. Oversees and leads the administration of forecasting and staffing plans for all UHC Operations employee: 18,000 virtual and site-based employees based in 80 domestic sites, augmented by global business partners; annual call volume of 82 million and first-pass claims volume of approximately 492 million across four different platforms (UNet, Facets, Cosmos, Nice).
- Oversee and lead the administration of forecasting and staffing plans for all UHC call, claim, and back office employees
- Advise and consult with segment heads, functional COOs, and other senior operations leaders to refine workforce strategies and plans to meet changing business needs.
- Advance the UHC Benefit Operations strategic workforce planning strategy, methodologies and tactics to support the efficient and cost-effective delivery of UHC’s business strategy
- Provide strategic thought leadership and drive continuous improvement to advance workforce planning capabilities. Ensure maximum utilization of existing technologies to support efficient traffic distribution and utilization of staff
- Proactively identify, analyze, remediate or modify operational process changes, excess capacity, defects in workforce models and forecasts to deliver best in class workforce plans in collaboration with key stakeholders. This requires constant engagement with operational leaders in call, claim, and other back office operational functions to report on performance and proactively recommend improvements as well as collaborate with Finance to report on adherence to forecast
- Leverage data and financial analysis, workforce models and innovation to inform, advise, problem solve and influence decisions and outcomes that align the strategic priorities
- Lead and advance the value and impact of the United Operations Support Center (UOSC) team accountable for ensuring that all programs and tools drive and support operational excellence and increase NPS
- Provide strategic oversight of the United Operating Model and Industrial Engineering function. Promote and engage these capabilities to drive operational efficiencies and consistent, flawless delivery of UHC’s products and services. Serve as executive sponsor and champion the value of the United Operating Model providing data driven insights on the features, benefits and value of UOM to influence key stakeholders
- Drive the implementation of technology solutions and tools that deliver accurate, timely and relevant data and insights on all aspects of operational performance (examples OMEGA, MyMetrics, TNOC, etc.)
- Ensure timely, accurate and actionable information is communicated to senior operations leaders and other key stakeholders to increase operating efficiencies and reduce overall operating costs
- Oversee and drive the development, implementation and administration of the Quarterly Variable Compensation (QVC) Program to ensure the program drives the right behaviors, promotes operational excellence and improves NPS
- Provide executive oversight for the UHC Benefit Operations FTE governance process to ensure the most efficient and cost effective service level and response time objectives are achieved
- Hire, coach, develop, and engage a diverse, high-performing leadership team and workforce aligned with UHG’s Cultural Values
- Drive performance of the Workforce Management team to the highest level, creating a culture of accountability and execution
- Bachelor’s degree
- 15+ years of relevant work experience, preferably in a consumer-centric industry, with particular emphasis on operations, workforce planning, forecasting and related WFM technologies
- 10+ years of increasingly responsible leadership experience in a large-scale, dynamic, financial performance oriented environment
- Strong financial and business acumen and the proven ability to develop strategies that drive transformational change contributing to increased NPS
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize and analyze relevant data and information to make informed recommendations and influence business outcome
- Domestic and international travel required (approximately 25%)
- Master’s degree
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal skills and the proven ability to build relationships, lead and influence at all levels of the organization
- Demonstrated track record of hiring the right talent, developing and engaging a diverse and high-performing leadership team, succession management, managing performance and driving a culture of accountability.
Careers with UnitedHealthcare. Let's talk about opportunity. Start with a Fortune 6 organization that's serving more than 85 million people already and building the industry's singular reputation for bold ideas and impeccable execution. Now, add your energy, your passion for excellence, your near-obsession with driving change for the better. Get the picture? UnitedHealthcare is serving employers and individuals, states and communities, military families and veterans where ever they're found across the globe. We bring them the resources of an industry leader and a commitment to improve their lives that's second to none. This is no small opportunity. It's where you can do your life's best work.SM
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.